Image and video hosting by TinyPic

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/04/2017 9:32 pm  #1

Easy Mexican Skillet

I love this hot dish! It's so easy to make, and all you need is one skillet to make it.

Easy Mexican Skillet

1 lb. bulk pork sausage (See *Note)
1/2 cup chopped onion (I prefer to dice them)
1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers (I prefer to dice them)
1-1/2 cups uncooked rotini noodles (about 5 ounces)
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon salt (See *Note)
black pepper, sprinkle in desired amount
1 teaspoon chili powder (I always add 1-1/2 teaspoons)
1 (14.5 oz.) can whole peeled tomatoes, cut-up (See *Note)
1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
2/3 cup sour cream
Kraft Gated Parmesan Cheese (in the green bottle) sprinkle on desired amount

In a large, deep skillet (I use my chicken fryer), lightly brown the sausage; drain off any excess fat.

Add the onion and green peppers to the skillet, cook until vegetables are tender (about 7 minutes); stirring frequently.

Stir in the noodles, sugar, salt, pepper, chili powder, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. (When it came to adding the pepper, I sprinkled in Lawry's Seasoned Black Pepper instead.)

Let the mixture come to a boil (but not a full boil), then reduce the heat to a low simmer.

Cover the skillet, and gently simmer for 20 minutes; stirring occasionally.

Stir in the sour cream, and heat through for a few minutes longer.

When serving, sprinkle desired amount of grated parmesan cheese on top of each plate.

Yields: About 5 servings.

*Note: Bulk sausage is ground pork sausage which contains spices such as, salt, pepper, ground sage, and possibly other spices, plus it contains garlic. When I make this 'hot dish', I use ground pork sausage which our family has made and seasoned it ourselves. We add fresh garlic and onion to it, and season it with salt, coarse black pepper, and ground sage. I do omit the salt in the recipe above, but I still add the black pepper and onions. Also, for this recipe, you can substitute canned stewed tomatoes for the canned whole, peeled tomatoes.

Last edited by Domestic Goddess (3/06/2017 2:51 pm)

Board footera