Image and video hosting by TinyPic

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/29/2021 3:21 pm  #1

Tennis/Wimbledon 2021: Serena Williams Retires from Match

Serena Williams won't be making history at Wimbledon this year. In the middle of the first set of her Round 1 match against Aliaksandra Sasnovich, Williams slipped on the grass while planting one of her legs, injuring her knee. 

Williams exited briefly to be treated by a trainer. She returned and attempted to continue the match, in tears as she tried to serve without putting any extra weight on her injured leg. She was able to manage for a short while, but suddenly crumpled to the ground in pain after landing on her knee. She was unable to continue, looking devastated as she left the court. 

This is only the second time in her long, storied career that she's been forced to retire from a Grand Slam due to injury. The only other time was at Wimbledon in 1998, 23 years ago. 

6/30/2021 3:17 pm  #2

Re: Tennis/Wimbledon 2021: Serena Williams Retires from Match

Williams left the court to receive medical attention. After returning, with the match now tied at 3-3, Williams buckled at the baseline midpoint before gingerly walking off the court in tears, acknowledging the fans as she departed.

"I was heartbroken to have to withdraw today after injuring my right leg," said Williams in an Instagram post. "My love and gratitude are with the fans and the team who make being on centre court so meaningful.

"Feeling the extraordinary warmth and support of the crowd today when I walked on -- and off -- the court meant the world to me," said Williams, who was aiming to win a record-tying 24th grand-slam title.

The forfeit marks her first ever first-round loss at Wimbledon.

7/11/2021 11:53 am  #3

Re: Tennis/Wimbledon 2021: Serena Williams Retires from Match

Novak just won his 20th Grand Slam!  Now on the U.S Open!!!

Board footera