Image and video hosting by TinyPic

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

1/16/2018 6:47 am  #1

The Southern Sympathy Cookbook: Funeral Food with a Twist

If there’s a funeral in the South, you’re almost guaranteed to find this there.Serves 6 to 8

• 1 (20-ounce) can crushed pineapple
  • 1 (20-ounce) can pineapple chunks
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 6 tablespoons self-rising flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 8 ounces sharp cheddar, grated
  • 40 buttery crackers, such as Ritz (that’s about 1 sleeve)
  • 8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
  •  

[list=1]
  • Drain the crushed pineapple and the chunks over a bowl to catch the juice. Whisk the sugar, flour and salt together in a medium mixing bowl, then add the grated cheese. Toss the cheese around to separate any clumps, making sure all the cheese is coated with the sugar mixture. Add both pineapples and stir to combine, making sure there are no dry ingredients visible in the bowl and that everything is well mixed. Spread the pineapple in an even layer in a well-greased two-quart baking dish.
  • Put the crackers into a zip-top plastic bag and crush with your hands until you have fine crumbs, with a few larger pieces lingering. Rinse and dry out the bowl, then mix the crumbs with the melted butter and 1/4 cup of the reserved pineapple juice. Spread the crumb topping evenly over the top of the casserole.
  • At this point, the casserole can be covered and refrigerated for up to a day. When ready to serve, preheat the oven to 350º F. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until hot through and bubbly and golden on the top. Serve warm.
  • Last edited by DollyLongstaff (1/16/2018 6:49 am)

Back with a vengeance possums!

5/16/2024 2:01 pm  #2

Re: The Southern Sympathy Cookbook: Funeral Food with a Twist

My daughter and I did this recipe last week. I don’t know why…. Pure sugar treat. Although we finished it off because we are sugar addicts, I don’t recommend it unless you want a pure sugar-high!! Whew!!
    😬🥹!

Board footera